Railroads that have operated or existed on paper in Barberton, Ohio
|Years of Operation||Railroad|
|Cleveland Zanesville and Cincinnati Railroad|
|Atlantic and Great Western Railway|
|Cleveland Mt. Vernon & Delaware Railroad|
|New York Pennsylvania and Ohio|
|Cleveland Akron and Columbus|
|Barberton Belt Line Railroad|
|Barberton and Southern Railroad|
|The Cleveland, Barberton and Western Railroad Company|
|The Barberton, Akron and Eastern Belt Line Railway Company|
|Baltimore & Ohio|
|Akron Barberton Belt Railroad|
Atlantic and Great Western Railway
In 1863 the A&GW began service along what was once the Cleveland Zanenesville and Cincinnati Railroad. According to an 1873 Railway Map the Atlantic and Great Western operated trains through New Portage and what would become Barberton. The path of the railroad followed what is today’s ABC line to Rittman.
Cleveland Akron & Columbus Railway
The Cleveland Akron & Columbus Railroad Co. was incorporated under general laws of Ohio, Dec. 1, 1881. The railroad formed the eastern boundary of Barberton. The company attempted to take control of the the Cleveland, Mt. Vernon and Delaware Railroad Company (CMV&D) in 1881 but was stopped by the courts. In 1885 The company became the Cleveland Akron & Columbus Railway and in 1886 completed a purchase of the CMV&D. In June of 1911 the railroad consolidated with The Cincinnati and Muskingum Valley Railroad Company to form the The Cleveland, Akron and Cincinnati Railway Company.
The railroad’s depot was originally located in New Portage. After the founding of Barberton a new brick station (one of the first structures built in town) was built at Tuscarawas Ave.
The railroad would latter become part of the Pennsylvania Railroad. Today the old CA&C Right of Way through town is owned and operated by CSX.
Cleveland Mt. Vernon & Delaware Railroad
According to an 1873 Railway Map, the Mt. Vernon & Delaware Railroad operated trains through New Portage and what would become Barberton. The path of the railroad through the Barberton area follows today’s CSX lines.
Cleveland Zanesville and Cincinnati Railroad
The Cleveland Zanesville and Cincinnati Railroad was originally chartered as the Akron branch of the Cleveland and Pittsburgh Railroad, May 17, 1851. The line traveled through the townships of Norton and Coventry. According to an 1856 map, the line entered Norton Township at New Portage following what would latter become the Erie Mainline. The same path is today followed by the ABC to Rittman.
The CZ&C would join forces with several other railroads in 1865 to form the Atlantic & Great Western Railroad.
The CZ&CR operated with a non-standard 6 foot gauge.
New York, Pennsylvania and Ohio Railroad
In March 1880, the New York, Pennsylvania and Ohio Railroad (NYP&O), formed from the bankrupt Atlantic & Great Western Railroad. On March 6, 1883 the NYP&O was leased to the Erie Railroad. On February 24, 1896 NYP&O was sold (under foreclosure) to representatives of the Erie but it wasn’t until 1941 that the property of the NYP&O was transferred to the Erie.
The major accomplishment of the NYP&O was the 1880 conversion of the line from its original 6-foot gauge to standard gauge.
Source:Western New York Railroad Archive