Return to: Barberton History Through Postcards
O. C. Barber’s Anna Dean Farm Pigeon House Barberton, Ohio. Following Barber’s death in 1920, many of the structures on the Anna Dean farm were demolished. Just eight of the classic structures remain today.
The Anna Dean Farm Squabbery is shown in this vintage image. The structure, which was connected to the farm hotel on the south, consisted of twenty-five pens, a fire and storage room, a complete killing and packing plant and quarters for the man in charge and his family.
Each pen, approximately 10 x 12, contained one hundred nest boxes and a drinking/bathing fountain for winter use. The indoor spaces opened into outdoor flying pens of the same size. The outdoor pens were also equipped with fountains for summer use. The facility housed 1000 pairs of birds and had a yearly output capacity of nearly 25,000 squabs.
Barbers favorite breeds included the Royal Whites, Buff Empress, Carneaux, Homers, and various strains of Runts.