Return to: Barberton History Through Postcards
Barn 3: Anna Dean Farm
O.C. Barber’s Anna Dean Farm, Barn 3 was one of four buildings that house the Anna Dean cows. It was the largest, most important and most impressive of the four barns. Barn 3 was eight-hundred feet long, and forty feet wide. It stood three stories in height throughout both wings, and five stories where they joined. The two immense silos that guarded the main entrance were both beautiful and practical. Each silo included an observatory balcony built around emergency water tanks which each had a 20,000 gallon capacity. To put their size in perspective, the average farm silo of the day could hold between 250 and 500 tons; the silos of Barn 3 each had a capacity of 1000 tons.
To the right and the left of the main entrance were the office and feed rooms respectively. From the main floor, loads of grain could be elevated by machinery to huge bins located above the feed room. Hay was also unloaded from this point and transferred by carrier to any point in the 800 feet of mow with ease.
At the rear of this center section of the barn, but entirely shut off from it, were three floors of furnished single rooms for milkers and stable men. The living quarters included steam heat, electric lights, bathrooms and clean, comfortable, home like furnishings.